Saturday, February 6, 2010

Meatloaf Roll


Okay so tonight, Fletch says he wants something with Hamburger in it… you know the obvious dinner time question “What do you want…?” So I went on Recipe Zaar and typed in hamburger. I was interested in this one and decided to give it a try. REALLY? Yum. I was surprised, very tasty indeed. Of course I modified it right away before even trying it exactly like she had written, there was a review that a half a cup of oatmeal was too much so I modified to ¼. I can only imagine that the ½ cup was too much. I did forget the milk, and replaced broccoli with peas. I think if you subbed Cheddar? You’d get too much grease, but Swiss cheese and ham is VERY tasty. The other thing I did was dash a few shakes of Habanera Tabasco into the mix… I’m not sure if that made a difference but if you like to add a little kick in go for it. It didn’t make it hot, I think it just added to the flavor.

http://www.recipezaar.com/Spiral-Meatloaf-WHam-Broccoli-and-Cheddar-142148

SERVES 2-4 , 1 meatloaf

Ingredients

  • 1 lb lean hamburger
  • 1/4 cup old-fashioned oatmeal, or dried bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup milk (oops forgot that one)
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
  • 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 egg
  • 4-6 slices deli ham (thin slices) ( I used 2 slices, but they were thicker sliced so … not so thin as you get in the package)
  • 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained ( I used frozen peas, about a ½ cup to a cup )
  • 10 slices American cheese, can sub cheddar or colby-monterey jack cheese, divided ( Swiss, just two slices, with some shredded Colby jack, I’m really not a huge fan of American)
  • pepper

Directions

In large bowl combine first 7 ingredients till very well mixed.

Place mixture onto a sheet of foil.

Press out to a flat, even 8″x10″ rectangle.

Top evenly with 6 slices ham to within 1/2″ of edges. ( I made one layer of ham, 6 slices I would think if you used that shaved ham)

Top with 6 slices American cheese. (Yea if its deli sliced, again just do a thin layer)

Sprinkle cheese layer with chopped broccoli evenly. Chop any big pieces smaller. (Peas were way easier and very tasty)

Roll up starting from long side, lifting and using the foil to help you roll it all up.

Roll up tightly.

Pinch ends and seam closed VERY well. Place seam side down onto cookie sheet, or keep on the foil (seam side down)and place onto cookie sheet, that’s what I did. Easier clean up!

Sprinkle with a little coarse ground pepper.

Bake in 350º oven for 55 minutes.

Bake 5 minutes longer or til cheese is just melted.

Let rest 15-20 minutes before slicing.

Good served with mashed potatoes, baby carrots and fresh rolls.

** Some hams can turn ground beef slightly pink. It is done in 1 hour. Just check juices to see if they are running clear.

**”Do-ahead” Tip:This can be rolled up and refrigerated (covered)for up to 24 ho

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog, I love hearing from you, let me know you've been here!